LPN Schools in Pennsylvania
If you'd like to pursue a career in nursing, live in Pennsylvania and want to start earning good pay as quickly as possible, consider training to become a licensed practical nurse. Unlike the training that's required for registered nurses, which takes at least two to four years, training to become an LPN only takes 12 to 18 months. With an LPN license in hand, you'll be eligible for jobs around the state that offer competitive pay and benefits.
Although becoming an LPN in PA is fairly simple, much of it depends on the quality of the training that you receive. This is why it's so important to take your time while looking for LPN programs. It also helps to know what to look for and to have a basic understanding of licensing requirements in the state. Get up to speed regarding becoming an LPN in Pennsylvania by reading on below.
To work as an LPN in PA, you must possess a valid LPN license. To become licensed as an LPN in the Keystone State, you must meet the requirements as set forth by the Pennsylvania State Board of Nursing. Familiarize yourself with these requirements to ensure the smoothest, easiest time:
If you possess a valid LPN license from another state, the Pennsylvania State Board of Nursing has an endorsement process that may be used to transfer it to PA. Note that Pennsylvania is not a part of the Nurse Licensure Compact, or NLC.
PA LPN licenses expire on June 30 of every even-numbered year. Unlike in many other states, you do not need to meet any continuing education requirements when renewing your license, so it tends to be quick and easy to do.
Pennsylvania State Board of Nursing
When applying for an LPN license in PA, send your application to the Pennsylvania State Board of Nursing. In the future, any time you need help with your license, you will direct inquiries to this agency. Therefore, keep its contact info handy:Pennsylvania State Board of Nursing
Harrisburg, PA 17105-2649
Phone: (717) 783-7142
Fax: (717) 783-0822
SALARY AND EMPLOYMENT OUTLOOK
Although becoming an LPN is one of the quickest and most affordable ways to kick-start a career in nursing, it still requires investments of effort, money and time. Before really throwing yourself into it, then, confirm that you will come away with credentials that allow you to find a well-paying job.
You will be pleased to know that LPNs in Pennsylvania do quite well. Per the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, LPNs in PA earn around $44,400 per year, which is equal to around $21.55 per hour. Nationwide, the average annual salary for LPNs is $42,400, or around $20.30 per hour, so LPNs in PA tend to earn more on average than LPNs in many parts of the country.
As for job prospects, they are good and should continue to remain so for the foreseeable future. According to the BLS, the LPN field in PA is projected to grow by a rate of 9 percent from 2014 to 2024. This is quite a bit slower than the national growth rate of 16 percent, but it still means that more than 1,400 new LPN jobs will be added every year during that period.
LPN Salaries By Area
Several factors affect how much you can expect to be paid as an LPN in Pennsylvania. In addition to things like experience and quality of training, your geographic location impacts job availability and compensation. This is evidenced below:
|City||Total LPN jobs||Median annual salary||Average hourly rate|
TOP SCHOOLS OFFERING LPN TRAINING IN PENNSYLVANIA
Given the importance of selecting a first-rate LPN training program, it makes sense to research plenty of options before making a decision. However, you can easily feel overwhelmed simply from the sheer number of options out there. Get your search off to a great start by considering these recommendations:
- Allegany College, Somerset County6022 Glades Pike, Suite 100, Somerset, PA 15501Request info
- Brightwood Career Institute, Pittsburgh933 Penn Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15222Request info
- Career Technology Center of Lackawanna County3201 Rockwell Ave, Scranton, PA 18508Request info
- Central Pennsylvania Institute of Science and Technology540 N Harrison Rd, Bellefonte, PA 16823Request info
- Central Susquehanna Intermediate Unit LPN Career1339 Saint Mary Street Suite 2, Lewisburg, PA 17837Request info
- Chester County Intermediate Unit Practical Nursing Program443 Boot Road, Downingtown, PA 19335Request info
- Clarion County Career Center490 Career Lane, Shippenville, PA 16254Request info
- Clearfield County Career and Technology Center1620 River Road, Clearfield, PA 16830Request info
- Community College of Beaver County, Monaca1 Campus Drive, Monaca, PA 15061Request info
- Crawford County Career and Technical Center, Practical Nursing Program860 Thurston Rd, Meadville, PA 16335Request info
- Delaware County Technical School, Folcroft85 North Malin Road, Broomall, PA 19008Request info
- Eastern Center for Arts and Technology3075 Terwood Rd, Willow Grove, PA 19090Request info
- Elizabethtown College, ElizabethtownOne Alpha Dr, Elizabethtown, PA 17022Request info
- Fayette County Area Vocational - Technical School - Practical Nursing 175 Georges Fairchance Rd, Uniontown, PA 15401Request info
- Fortis Institute, Erie5757 West 26th Street, Erie, PA 16506Request info
- Fortis Institute, Scranton517 Ash Street, Scranton, PA 18509Request info
- Franklin County Career and Technology Center1015 Philadelphia Avenue, Chambersburg, PA 17201Request info
- Gannon University109 W Sixth St, Erie, PA 16541Request info
- Greater Altoona Career & Technology Center1500 Fourth Avenue, Altoona, PA 16602Request info
- Greene County Career and Technology Center60 Zimmerman Drive, Waynesburg, PA 15370Request info
- Hanover Public School District Practical Nursing Program403 Moul Ave, Hanover, PA 17331Request info
- Harrisburg Area Community College, Harrisburg1 HACC Dr., Harrisburg, PA 17110Request info
- Harrisburg Area Community College, Lancaster1008 New Holland Avenue, Lancaster, PA 17601Request info
- Harrisburg Area Community College, Lebanon731 Cumberland Street, Lebanon, PA 17042Request info
- Hazleton Area Career Center1451 West 23rd Street, Hazleton, PA 18202Request info
- Huntingdon County Career and Technology CenterVo Tech Dr, Mill Creek, PA 17060Request info
- Jefferson County Dubois Area Vocational Technical Practical Nursing Pr576 Vo-Tech Road, Reynoldsville, PA 15851Request info
- King's College, Wilkes Barre133 N River St, Wilkes Barre, PA 18711Request info
- La Roche College9000 Babcock Blvd, Pittsburgh, PA 15237Request info
- Lancaster County Career and Technology Center1730 Hans Herr Dr, Willow Street, PA 17584Request info
- Lawrence County Vocational Technical School Practical Nursing Program750 Phelps Way, New Castle, PA 16101Request info
- Lehigh Carbon Community College4525 Education Park Dr, Schnecksville, PA 18078Request info
- Lenape Area Vocational Technical School Practical Nursing Program83 Glade Drive, Kittanning, PA 16201Request info
- Lincoln Tech, Allentown5151 Tilghman St, Allentown, PA 18104Request info
- Mercer County Career Center776 Greenville Rd, Mercer, PA 16137Request info
- Mifflin-Juniata Career and Technology Center700 Pitt St, Lewistown, PA 17044Request info
- Muhlenberg College2400 Chew Street, Allentown, PA 18104Request info
- Northampton Community College, Bethlehem3835 Green Pond Rd, Bethlehem, PA 18020Request info
- Northern Tier Career Center120 Career Center Lane, Towanda, PA 18848Request info
- Pennsylvania College of Technology, WilliamsportOne College Ave, Williamsport, PA 17701Request info
- Reading Area Community College10 S Second St, Reading, PA 19603Request info
- Schuylkill Technology Centers101 Technology Dr, Frackville, PA 17931Request info
- University of Pittsburgh, Greensburg150 Finoli Drive, Greensburg, PA 15601Request info
- University of Pittsburgh, Main4200 Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15260Request info
- University of Pittsburgh, Titusville504 East Main Street, Titusville, PA 16354Request info
- University of Valley Forge1401 Charlestown Road, Phoenixville, PA 19460Request info
- Venango County Area Vocational Technical School1 Vo-Tech Dr, Oil City, PA 16301Request info
- West Chester University of PennsylvaniaUniversity Avenue and High Street, West Chester, PA 19383Request info
- Western Area Career and Technology Center688 Western Ave, Canonsburg, PA 15317Request info
- Westmoreland County Community College, Youngwood145 Pavilion Lane, Youngwood, PA 15697Request info
- Wilkes-Barre Area Vocational Technical School of Practical Nursing350 Jumper Rd, Wilkes Barre, PA 18705Request info
- York College Pennsylvania441 Country Club Rd, York, PA 17403Request info
LPN training programs in PA are typically offered at vocational schools and community colleges. Always confirm that a program is approved by the PA State Board of Nursing prior to enrolling, as you will be ineligible to sit for the exam otherwise. While you're at it, check each school's pass rates for the NCLEX-PN, and stick with programs with a pass rate of 95 percent or higher.
Browse LPN schools in PA and enroll in one today!