Becoming a licensed practical nurse, or LPN, is among the fastest and easiest ways to break into the field of nursing. Unlike RN training, which typically takes two to four years depending on whether you earn an associate degree or a bachelor's degree, LPN training can typically be completed within a single year. If you're already employed and have other responsibilities, however, how are you supposed to find the time to complete LPN training? The answer may be to enroll in an online LPN program. Learn more about today's best online LPN programs below.
Today's Top 8 LPN Training Programs
If you are serious about becoming an LPN and want to do so as quickly as possible, online training may be the way to go. It will give you the flexibility that you need to complete the work on your own terms. Please note that the following eight programs are technically hybrid programs, as all LPN training programs have on-site clinical training portions.
- Riverside City College's Vocational Nursing Program - Based out of Riverside, California, Riverside City College offers a 51-unit undergraduate program in Vocational Nursing. Tuition and fees are charged per unit and vary by season. The cost is approximately $2,000.00 for 12 months. The typical time to completion is 12 months.
- Fort Myers Technical College's Practical Nursing Program - Florida-based Fort Myers Technical College's LPN program costs approximately $6,893. Like most programs, it takes around 12 months to complete for full-time students. If you join the program as a part-time students, you can expect the duration to be around 24 months. The hours of study of the program are 1350. To be eligible for enrollment, you will need a high school diploma or GED.
- Shawnee Community College's Practical Nursing Program - Located in Ullin, Illinois, Shawnee Community College offers an online certification course for aspiring LPNs. The school's NCLEX-PN pass rate in 2020 was 95%. If it has been a while since you attended school, you may have to take the TEAS exam to enroll. Total projected program cost is $8,590, (some students may qualify for financial aid to offset some of the costs).
- CUNY Bronx Community College's Licensed Practical Nursing Certificate Program - You don't have to live in NYC to take this reputable online LPN training course. Known as the Certification Program in Practical Nursing, it has 56 credits, so it takes around a year to finish. This school is very competitive, so you may have to provide transcripts to be admitted. Tuition for NYC residents is $265 per credit/hour, which seems a bit pricey. However, this is a very comprehensive and esteemed program, so the extra investment is worth it. For non-NYC residents, including international students, it is $420 per credit/hour.
- Niagara County Community College's Practical Nursing Certificate Program - Enroll in this Sanborn, New York-located school's online Undergraduate Certification in Practical Nursing to quickly be on your way to becoming an LPN. This program entails at least 45 credit hours, which includes lectures and assignments. On-site clinical training is also required. In 2018 (the last year it was reported), the school had a NCLEX-PN pass rate of 100 percent. Tuition for legal residents of NYS residing outside of Niagara County who present a valid Certificate of Residence from their home county is $2,376 per academic term for full-time students. Residents of Niagara county pay lesser and out-of-NY and foreign students pay higher than that. You can expect it to take one year to complete the training, at which point you will be eligible to sit for the licensing exam.
- Jefferson College's Beginning Level I/PN (Certificate) - To qualify for enrollment in this school's online practical nursing program, you must complete an entrance exam. Based out of Hillsborough, Missouri, this training program costs $12,376.00 for in-district (Jefferson County) students, $16,196.00 for in-state (out of district) students, and $20,017.00 for out-of-state students, being one of the pricier LPN training programs. Many students qualify for financial aid of some kind, however, so it may end up being less expensive.
- Illinois Central College's Practical Nursing Program - Based out of East Peoria, Illinois, the well-regarded Illinois Central College offers a popular Certification in Practical Nursing training program. The program's total credit hours are 34. Tuition is $155 for in-district, $330 for out-of-district, and $390 for out-of-state students per credit. The program consists of two semesters and one summer session. Upon completing this program, you will be eligible to take the licensing exam to become an LPN.
- Daytona State College's Licensed Practical Nurses Program - This program spans three semesters, or 42 weeks, for a full-time student, so it takes one year to complete. To be eligible to enroll, you will need a high school diploma or GED. At just $3,886 for in-state students, this is one of the most affordable LPN training programs out there.
To become a licensed practical nurse, you don't have to spend hours of your life on a college campus. Chances are that you can complete the majority of your training over the internet through an online training program for LPNs. Locate a program that works for you by exploring the options highlighted above and going from there. Before you know it, you'll be training to become an LPN without having to leave home.